Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Clash of the Titans (2010)

      It's been a while since I've fully watched the original movie, therefore I will keep my comments strictly to the new movie and not compare it to the original film it is based on.
      What a piece of CGI waste is all I can say, I know I'll probably catch flak for that comment, to me this was another one of those lets see how many fancy CGI battles we can do on screen and in-between toss in some story and dialogue. To sum up the story and all its mythological background is a little easier said than done, Perseus (Sam Worthington) must go on a journey to save the fabled city of Argos from the underworld. See, way back three brothers fought out against their parents the Titans and afterwords each was given a region to rule: Zeus (Lian Neeson) the heavens, Poseidon (Danny Huston) the seas, and Hades (Ralph Fiennes) the underworld. Zeus and Poseidon create man and with their mortal prayers are able to maintain their power as gods, Hades sees another way of power and that's making the mortals fear the gods. Thus starting an epic war between mortals and the gods.
Clash of the TitansUnfortunately what could of been a great epic story, is lost, when much of the mythology and story gets over powered with the CGI monsters and creatures. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't rush out to see it in 3-D like I wanted to, because I didn't see anything where the fast 2-D to 3-D conversion would of helped it. I can't not totally hate it though, as I am a huge fan of the Greek mythology stories. This is one of those movies that is a great example of how when directing, there needs to be a balance of action and story. I think much of it is with Louis Leterrier having not had a ton of directing under his belt, mainly the first 'Transporter' films and the reboot of 'The Incredible Hulk'. I think taking on a film of this size was a little over his head, after being handed the reins from Stephen Norrington (Who stepped down after not seeing the original and feeling he couldn't make a faithful remake without watching the first extensively). I have a feeling though that this is one of those that in a few years time will probably be remade once again. There is a great story there, its just it needs the right person in modern Hollywood to tell it. If your a fan of CGI and big action sequences you'll enjoy it, everyone else will probably go back to watching the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment