Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh

    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
     I know it may be out of the chronological order of things to be watching it before everything else. However me and my wife decided to watch this before I decided to start on my Disney mission, we got it as a "research" tool for the baby's room which is gonna be Pooh inspired. I can't even recall the last time I saw this movie, but like most Disney films after about five minutes the whole movie comes back to you and you end up saying "I remember all this". I think what was so cool about this animated movie was how the book it was told out of became like a character, how it set up the different stories and how the other characters kinda interacted with it. This summer the new 'Winnie the Pooh' movies comes out and its the return to classic pooh, getting away from the CGI of Pooh characters of recent years. It will be interesting to see how it looks compared to this original. What baffles me though is I don't know if it just isn't or if they haven't promoted it, but, I haven't seen anything saying this new one will be in 3-D. I actually have to say if its not I'll be disappointed, I think with the book and the pages, it could really look sharp and add depth in 3-D. The worse thing about this new movie, is Disney has it opening the same weekend as the final Harry Potter movie and I can tell you know it's gonna clobber Pooh and Disney is gonna talk about how it made no money and talk about hand drawn animation being old again. Back to the movie though, I'm not a huge Pooh fan, starting to be though since it's gonna play a big role in the baby's life. It was well done and I think it still hold up all these years, and its like going back to childhood for me watching this as I remember it when I was little. You had a catchy soundtrack by the famous Sherman Brother and even though its really like six separate stories they are woven together very well so it keeps the flow of one continuous story.
     Now for the Walt Disney World aspect of Pooh. After seeing the movie, I have to say the ride at the Magic Kingdom really does do a great job of placing you in those specific scenes from the movie. Because, half way through the movie, I leaned over to the wife and asked if she wanted to go to the park so I can go on the ride. I haven't been there to really see the new queue since it opened, except at night where it's hard to see everything, but, really anxious to see how everything looks and how well it fits to the movie as well. I think for as small a ride as it is, getting each of those scenes into it and really capturing the feel and the music of those scenes and the selection of what they used to represent the scenes was really done well, you can tell they did their research. I liked the ride before but after seeing the movie now, I have a new appreciation for the ride and I think when I go on it again will be a little more meaningful than just a Fantasyland dark ride. I used to think the big story book pages at the ride where kinda dump like a cheap way out of theming, well until now when they redid most of it, but after seeing this again and how much those pages played a role in the movie, I can see why they chose to have you intertwined with these giant pages out of the book of Pooh.
     Like I said I can't wait to see the new movie now, I hope they change the release date or at least be ready to be clobbered. I'm not sure how the new one will do, most of the kids are used to the CGI Pooh on Disney Channel, I'm interested to see how they will take a liking to the classic hand drawn Pooh and if we will see CGI Pooh again or are we gonna really try and being back classic Pooh. I haven't seen any of the CGI movies so to say I don't like them or how they look in CGI wouldn't be fair,  I think that's a movie and a blog for another day. Also I don't know when the DVD came out, but, the one I got from Netflix was the Friendship edition and it had a really good extra about the story of Pooh and how the author created the story and the characters, how Walt even years and years before talked about doing Pooh and an interview with how the Sherman brothers came up with the music. When I get to it in the list of watching order, I'll have to buy it in whatever edition it is in now, but a nice way to start of the Disney movie-a-thon.

No comments:

Post a Comment